Saturday, 17 April 2010

We're all doomed...(probably)

I only meant to be out for a few minutes this morning as I am getting well behind with my work, but ended up spending the whole morning in the garden. I didn't notice it while I was out but as soon as I came in it was obvious that I was coated in a thin film of dust, it's up my nose and in my hair. On the plus side the only sounds in the garden were bumblebees. Durham Tees Valley airport is only a few miles down the road and there is usually an AWACS circling overhead or the police helicopter in hot pursuit of some shoplifter or other master criminal, not today though because we are all living in the shadow of the volcano. I was desperate for another news story to liven up the next four weeks of dull election coverage but this has the added advantage of trapping huge numbers of the world's stupidest people in airport departure lounges so that journalists can repeatedly ask them 'how does this make you feel?'

In other news...

Everything in the propagators has now sprouted/germinated, and I've just set off a load of cayenne chilli peppers and courgettes so things really feel like they are progressing on the garden front. The kitchen has had a bit of a setback and it looks like sandwiches and paper plates for another week.

11 comments:

  1. Wish I had a garden for bumble bees to visit me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three of them were queing up to be let into the greenhouse this morning. I don't know why as there are no flowers in there yet and all they do once they do get in is crash around getting angry until they find their way out again. Having sat on one when I was 4 I prefer to respect their personal space these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about bumble bees, it's still pretty cold here. However, some kind of horrible insect bit me on the hand last weekend and the big lump it left me is only just going away now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Alex, couldn't agree more about the lack of planes.
    Thanks for signing up to my blog, I'd like to repay the compliment, not out of politeness but cos you seem a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow nice write-up, u have a lovely space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Alex... thanks for becoming a follower of my blog...
    Nice to visit your blog... and u r quite the gardener...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Isobel - appreciate the reciprocity on the followers front. I hadn’t realised I had such a need for approbation until I started this blog, I suspect it might help me to update more often now that I know that it's being read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Namaste! Welcome aboard Aruna and Foodie, two great looking and spicy food websites that I will shamelessly be pinching ideas from once I get the kitchen up and running. That reminds me I must invest in some American measuring cups…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am certainly enjoying the clear blue skies we're getting at the moment! I too went out to the garden for a few minutes this morning and came in several hours later - great way to spend time. Certainly beats sitting in an office all day, I have that joy to look forward to tomorrow. Also had bumblebees out and about and hoverflies - wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw loads of bees about at the weekend, and butterflies too, which is good as I didn't see many at all last year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have already seen more butterflies this year than the whole of last (but then I have been out in the garden more). Last year I counted at least 8 different types of bee and bumblebee in the garden, many of them living among the roots and stump of a dead Ash tree.

    ReplyDelete