Thursday, 6 May 2010

Vote Radish!


I was only looking at it and it just came away in my hand – honest. Okay so I was poking it a bit to see how big it was and it kind of fell out of the earth (the soil in my raised bed is so soft things are literally falling out of it).
It was a proud moment for me today when I accidentally unearthed my first radish. So proud in fact I considered walking around and wearing it as a buttonhole like Withnail’s odd uncle Monty. Perhaps I should wear it at the polling station, people may think it’s an odd rosette for a bizarre vegetable party and pledge their support. If I let someone have a nibble will that count as ‘treating’?

I’d sown two varieties of radish, this one is French Breakfast (don’t worry they are supposed to be torpedo shaped rather than the traditional sphere) and they are definitely a lot bigger than the Scarlet Sparkler (organic old-school round variety) sown alongside at the same time. It wasn’t until I’d actually sown them that I remembered that I don’t really like radishes. Obviously this is no longer true as this particular one tasted fantastic, very subtle and sophisticated. I also love the fact that I only sowed them on the 12th of April and here I am eating one. I think radishes may become my favourite thing. I’d better start looking for some sensible radish recipes.

15 comments:

  1. Hooray for your first radish!! they're one of my faves -here's link for some interesting radish recipes.http://dancinggecko.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/10-tasty-radish-recipes/ A nice way to eat them is with sweet butter on good bread, a pinch of salt.
    I can completely relate to your elation over the first radish - right now I'm waiting for my Spanish black radishes to fatten up.
    happy gardening

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the link 'boots, must've missed that post, they all look worth a try but will have to stick with basic radish on bread and butter until the cooker is up and running. Once I can get an oven cranked up I am definately trying the spicy radish chips/crisps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am growing French Breakfast, Munchen Bier, Rat Tail and Mooli. I love the radish in all forms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I am very terrible at gardening...admire people who can plant their own veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab. They grow so quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment on my blog, please don't be put off by the size of my radishes as they are meant to grow bigger than your average radish, of course I would never admit to this in front of my boss! French Breakfast is a nice Radish and I'm sure you will enjoy them even more fresh from your own garden. Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your offspring! I love radish, esp dipped in salt or horror upon horros....salad cream. :-) Keep it up! I haven't peeked at mine yet but its only a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, just wanted to let you know that i've added you to my blog roll. I hope my band of tiny followers (I'm not saying they are small in stature), will read your blog and love it. M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers for the link Michaela. I've reciprocated the link in the hope of appeasing your loyal band of Oompa-Loompa followers - which even though I have just reread your post properly with my reading glasses on I am still going to pretend you actually have. I share your enthusiasm for all things salad cream – the only way to make proper egg and cress sandwiches in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just cooked up a super easy and great soup that was recommended on a blog. Just google Radish Top Soup for the reciepe. Now I can use the tops instead of throwing them into the compost pile. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog! Radish is nice grated dressed with oil, orange juice, salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I wish I'd sown some radishes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry folks, didn't realise that comment moderation had got switched on and there were comments waiting to be vetted - I wasn't deliberately ignoring anyone.

    ReplyDelete