Saturday, 24 July 2010

Two out of Three Ain't Bad.




I started the season with 3 proto-figs which were later joined by another 10 ‘second round’ figs. The first three have been slowly growing and ripening and I’ve been checking them everyday – until yesterday when I was so busy with stuff that I forgot. This last week it has been dull and overcast – nothing has been growing so I thought I could get away with it. However, today when I go to check there are only two, I find the other has dropped down the back of the pot and already shrivelled up. The other two fell off into my hand but I suspect they were already past their best as they seem a little flaccid. If they’d have had a few days of sun rather than slate grey skies they might have been perfect, instead they look more like Papa Smurf’s severed ‘nads. They did taste spot on though, if a little overripe.

4 comments:

  1. ...mmm severed nads... how delightful... remind me to hire you to copyright my next menu...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to liberate my inner Sid James...Oooer...now coming over all Frankie Howerd....must...stop...double..entendres..causing massive stroke....fnnaar..fnaar....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will I ever look at a fig the same again? I doubt it. I see how your mind works.... UDG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Says the girl whose middle name is dirt :)

    ReplyDelete