Monday, 13 September 2010

Breaking news on the Bilberry Front…

Ok so I know there isn’t such a thing as a Bilberry Front - yet. Although I wouldn’t put it past the politicians to start another war against an abstract foe (Drugs, Terror. What next, Pies?). Perhaps the ‘Bilberry Front’ will be part of the ‘Bramble Salient’ it does have a very MOD ring to it. Have you ever noticed how the yanks always give their military operations very macho and bombastic titles; Desert Storm, Scorpion Sting, Airborne Dragon, etc, which these days even seem to come pre-packaged with an embroidered patch logo, baseball cap and a T-shirt. We Brits have a long tradition of rather more twee operational designations; Shed, Fork, Vegetarian (all ridiculous but true). Imagine the ignominy of being captured during operation ‘Saucy’ (Burma ’43).

Anyway, I’ve just received the Ken Muir catalogue for 2011 and I see it has bilberry bushes for sale – typical! I ordered a load of blueberry bushes from Suttons Seeds as I couldn’t find anyone selling bilberries when I actually wanted them. I wonder if I still have time to cancel my Suttons order? At least now all you soft southerners can get access to your own bilberries and finally have the chance of making mucky mouth pie or black and blue ripple, you lucky things!

9 comments:

  1. That's good news, thanks for sharing. If you get on to Suttons it should be ok to cancel your order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I've missed the boat on cancelling the blueberries, but may turn them into a pressie to justify buying myself some billberries instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what bilberries are... do they have thorns? :-) I better do a google search now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time since I got purple/blue fingers picking them myself, but I don't remember them having thorns or ever getting pricked. They are already such a pain to harvest in the wild that thorns would just be OTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ach, at first glance, thought you said Bilberry FONT... combining your illustrator skills with fruits...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Alex... what's up with the blog? your recent link for 'naming 15 artists' doesn't work???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dom - Blogger seems to be acting a bit weird in the last couple of days, links seems to work - don't sweat it though its not that interesting, you're not missing much :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Shiny - despite being taught Typography by supposedly one of the best I was never any good at it, you may have discovered a gap in the market though as I can't find any mention of a Bilberry font existing yet.

    ReplyDelete