Tuesday, 5 October 2010

The last stand of the greenhouse monsters…

Much to my amazement the greenhouse is managing to hold off the relentless assault of Autumn and is still providing an amazing harvest.



The huge Floridity tomato monster is finally relinquishing its grip on the far end of the greenhouse as it breathes its last gasps and gives up the last few small fruit. The zed zebras on the other hand are still looking robust, it took a long time to fruit and then an age for the tomatoes to start to colour but now its got the hang of it and is still chocka with huge toms. I have to say they are disappointing eaten raw in salads but make a mean passata (and chutney). They have also provided some small amusement with some amusingly misshapen offspring. See their excellent impression of a bubble-butt and the amusingly entitled ‘Tomato Escape Pod’.

The back from the dead zombie cayenne chillies have finally decided to turn red. I didn’t think they’d make it but they proved me wrong. Little do they know that in doing so they have sealed their fate, for I shall now dry and grind them into powder mwahahahah!

Outside my Mara des Bois strawberries are living up to their perpetual billing by waking up again after about a month of inactivity and have started producing another batch of huge strawbs. I was meaning to transfer them to the raised bed, like I’ve already done with the Tenira, but don’t want to disturb them while they’re busy fruiting.
Also outside is the Pepino (solanum muricatum or “melon pear”). I grew these from seed last year, only 3 plants germinated and they all got some horrible looking disease. Two of them died completely and the third was put outside against the wall to fend for itself. It somehow survived last winter and to my amazement produced some rather nice purple flowers that gave way to little fruits. These are supposed to reach the size of hens eggs and be a creamy yellow with purple stripes and taste of cantaloupe when ripe. They are hard as rock at the moment so not sure if they’ll make it all they way. But I’m impressed they fruited at all outside and this far north.
Saving the best for last, my Lemon tree in the front porch has 3 mini lemons! I completely missed the flowers as they were right up underneath the main leafy bit and totally hidden. I wouldn’t have known they were there but I noticed some blossom that had fallen into the pot and looked up to see a tiny little yellowish blob about the size of a clove, then another and another. Slightly gutted that I missed the flowers (although now I think of it the usual smell of cat pee in the porch was tempered with some lemony overtones last week) but well chuffed that I might be cooking with lemons at Xmas. Huzzah!

8 comments:

  1. amazing! My tomatoes have JUST started to ripen and they're outdoors! i think this weekend is due to be weirdly warm again! what is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the tomatoes I had outside were pretty disapointing (Minibel variety free from GW mag) in hanging baskets but still got totally raped by slugs and really prone to splitting - when you picked them they'd be fine but they'd split the minute I brought them inside, almost every single one split. Going for 3 diff varieties next year and will grow all 3 in Greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see someone having successful tomatoes. I am seriously having to reconsider growing them again, after Blightgate! I might try some blight-resistant bush types, so I don't have to spend hours each week pinching out suckers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to admit removing the side shoots on the Floridity was a real chore, couldn't believe how quickly they grew. But hardly any on the red zebras. The minibel were a bush type, was not impressed with them at all though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew Minibel this year too, and was likewise disappointed. Am jealous you still have toms growing - I just put the last plants on the compost heap. All over until next year - roll on Feb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet - probably the main reason why I still have tomatoes growing in the GH is that I had surgery on my foot recently (no sympathy required all my own stupid fault)and so can't stand up for more than a few minutes at a time. Therefor my 'pottering about' opportunities are severely curtailed. Otherwise pretty much everything in the GH would be chutnefied by now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alex your toms are looking great. Like you, we are still harvesting, i wish we could spread the harvest out a bit Im starting to look like a tomato! Well done on the lemon front, they look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the tomatoes are photogenic :-)! Yep, you are doing well for autumn!

    ReplyDelete